the big character set change

Andrew Tridgell tridge at valinux.com
Fri Jul 6 10:37:15 GMT 2001

> How about allowing use of GNU libiconv on systems where iconv is not
> good enough or it doesn't exist:
>   http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

yep, I looked at that and it should work fine with Samba. One of the
reasons I was happy to go with a iconv based system was that I knew
that library was available. I didn't want to rely on it though, which
is why I did the mini-iconv inside Samba.

> Gettext 0.10.38 has an autoconf test, AM_ICONV, that adds
> --with-libiconv-prefix=DIR to search for libiconv in DIR/include and
> DIR/lib. This might be a useful addition.

I'd be happy to have a option like that, it would make it a bit easier
to use libiconv

Cheers, Tridge