HELP!!! Problem with long userlist with Windows 9x

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 5 21:29:41 GMT 2001

Emmanuel DESVIGNE wrote:
>I've got a problem with my samba 2.2.0a witch works as a PDC.
>When I create less than about 60 user accounts, all works
>fine. But if I declare even more user accounts, I've got a
>problem: Windows 9x computers can't see the whole userlist
>when I want to share a folder or a printer.
Seems in srv_samr_nt.c, line 1044 (or so) says:
orig_num_entries = num_entries;

After the check for exceeding MAX_SAM_ENTRIES (which is 50) has been done.
And then at the end...

if (num_entries < orig_num_entries) {
     return STATUS_MORE_ENTRIES;
}

Seems like orig_num_entries needs to be set earlier...

My netmon capture (and gdb) shows that STATUS_MORE_ENTRIES is definitely
not returned.

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
Linux Technology Center
IBM Boulder

Notes: Jim McDonough/Boulder/IBM @ IBMUS
VNET: JMCD at IBMUSM54
Internet: jmcd at us.ibm.com

Phone: (303) 924-5822
T/L: 263-5822

"Emmanuel DESVIGNE" <emmanuel at desvigne.org>@lists.samba.org on 07/04/2001
02:24:14 PM

Sent by:  samba-ntdom-admin at lists.samba.org

To:   <samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org>
cc:
Subject:  HELP!!! Problem with long userlist with Windows 9x

Hello,

I'd already send this message in a bottle... But nobody seems
to know how to help me :-(

I've got a problem with my samba 2.2.0a witch works as a PDC.
When I create less than about 60 user accounts, all works
fine. But if I declare even more user accounts, I've got a
problem: Windows 9x computers can't see the whole userlist
when I want to share a folder or a printer.

For example, under Windows 98, I right click on a folder I
want to share. Then, I want to choose some users in this user
list to give them an access for reading or writing. But I
can't see the last accounts I'd declare. But I find users
with a name like "|M~\o"...

Some people had said me this problem doesn't exist in 2.0.x
version (I've got a friend with a samba 2.0.7 PDC witch
manage more than 900 user accounts...).

Something strange: this problem only appears with Windows 9x.
I have no problem with NT4 and Win2K !!! With these OS, I see
the whole user list (it's why I think my problem is not due
to a miss configuration).

Someone said me Windows NT/2K download this userlist by
packets, and Windows9x download the whole list in one time.
Do you know if it's true? Do you think it's the cause of my
problem? Does someone have this problem too?

Please, help !!! I don't want to buy a Microsoft Windows NT
for having a PDC... Thanks a lot,

Emmanuel