Potential Win95 Show stopper ?

David Schwarz dave at deakin.edu.au
Wed Jul 4 04:50:59 GMT 2001

Hi Guys,

We just downloaded the latest CVS about 3 hours ago.

We still have a problem with vanilla WIN95 on our test Solaris 8 servers

 From the Window 95 command line we can see all files,
 From the Windows Explorer, we can only see files with . (dots) in the name.

If we show hidden files, then we can see all the hidden files well as
they have a dot in the name as well
so I don't think its anything to do with Hiden files and that sort of thing.

The head of Systems and my self have just spent an Hour changing every
setting
in SMB.Conf we can think off, and it will still not work correctly.

I did report this earlier, but other people stated it worked for them,
so I assumed the
computer I was using was corrupt. I have just built a new machine from
scratch to retest on,
and I am still seeing the same issue.

This is only with Win95, using Explorer.

We do not have ACL support turned on, but it is compiled into the build.

I can send further info, or try builds if  needed.
We need 2.2.x asap, so we are willing to help as much as we can.

Dave....

The smb.conf is as follows, its had a few changes made to it to check
whats going on, but this is as it
is currently on our test server

[global]
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=14336
SO_SNDBUF=1
4336
        ;security = user
        security = share
        ;security = domain
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ; the following three lines are required for acl support in NT
        ;nt smb support = yes
        ;nt pipe support = yes
        ;nt acl support = yes
        nt smb support = no
        nt pipe support = no
        nt acl support = no
        server string = Deakin University - %h Server %v
        ;shared mem size = 5242880
        case sig names = no
        default case = lower
        guest account = samba
        public = no
        force create mode = 0700
        force directory mode = 0700
        create mask = 0711
        hide dot files = no
        client code page = 850
        map hidden = no
        map system = no
        directory mask = 0700
        hosts allow = 139.132. , 128.184.
        hosts deny = 139.132.6. , 128.184.3.
        invalid users = root
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks/samba
        lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P %p
        mangled names = yes
        fake directory create times = yes
        dos filetime resolution = yes
        oplocks = True
        case sensitive = no
        load printers = no
        printing = lprng
        print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
        printer name  = lp
        printcap name = /local/etc/printcap
        status = yes
        wide links = no