[RFC] Authentication Rewrite

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Jul 4 00:45:50 GMT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Attached is a basic attempt to let people know what I am intending to do
> with my 'Authentication Rewrite'.  It is by no means a formal document
> (particularly given its title :-), but I hope it might draw some
> comments.

Implementation
 ==============

The implementation will deal with all authentications, including SHARE
level (outside code will still need to determine the username), USER
level, SERVER level (small hack required, specified challenge must be one
sent by server) and DOMAIN level security.  Fallback to local can be
arranged as normal.

I have created a few new files, to separate this functionality into a
single logical component.

include/auth.h contains the type definitions, and smbd/auth.c contains the
interface and functionality.

auth.c may be split into 4, the generic interface, and the 3
authentication back ends.

This design allow for a lot of flexibility in the implementation -
including default domains/no default domains as per the team's
requirements.

Andrew,

I don't see auth.h or auth.c in HEAD or SAMBA_2_2.  Have you
checked them in?

cheers, jerry
 http://www.valinux.com/     VA Linux Systems      gcarter at valinux.com
 http://www.samba.org/          SAMBA Team             jerry at samba.org