failing LOCK1 smbtorture test

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Jul 27 03:39:47 GMT 2001

Hi Anton,
I would rather see better/more tests implemented, than a blacklist.  For one
thing, vendors that have bugs in the mmap implementation (as I believe HP
has at the moment, with returning a zero pa periodically) need to be
responsible and FIX these issues.  I think that we need to code as if the
man page for mmap (or other system functions) is reliable, and use our
testing etc. to make people aware that there are issues with a particular
implementation.  For instance, the issue with HP-UX not having a unified
buffer/page cache could be addressed by HP in the near future, and then we
would PASS the test that Jeremy is proposing, and once again be able to take
advantage of the mmap performance gains, without a code modification.  If
however, we set up a 'blacklist', where we hardcode ifdef's against
particular os'es, when they have addressed the issues, then a code
modification is required.
Just my opinion, but if a particular vendor requires ifdef's for their
implementation, I would like to see them submit them, if the issue is
something they are not planning to address.

Hope this helps,
Don