slowdowns with MTU > 8k

Greg Dickie greg at discreet.com
Thu Jul 26 11:59:13 GMT 2001

Hi Chris,

I don't think so, so what I just posted. We can do a ping of 9014 and this MTU
is supposed to be supported by the switch and all the other NICs. Every other
test we do we see a benefit in the bigger MTU, it just seems like a samba
specific thing. I just responded to a post by Anton because from some tests I
did yesterday it appears to be sendfile related....

Thanks for the reponse though it was a good idea,
Greg

On 25-Jul-01 Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Is it just Samba?
>
> I'm wondering if some device (your GIGE interface card, some intermediate
> switch, something) has a lower limit and could be splitting your packets
> in half on you.  That would slow things down a bit.
>
> Chris -)-----
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   We are playing with gigabit ethernet and we get quite good performance
>> when the MTU is set around 8k. If we set it at 9014 (max MTU on the switch
>> we use) the throughput from samba gets cut in half. Tried playing with
>> "max xmit" but no effect.
>>
>>   Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or have any tools to
>> dump the profile shared memory?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

>> Greg Dickie
>> just a guy
>> greg at discreet.com
>>

> --
> Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
> crh at nts.umn.edu              Networking and Telecommunications Services
>
>     Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them
>     with your hands...you choose them as your guides, and following
>     them you will reach your destiny.  --Carl Schultz

Greg Dickie
just a guy
greg at discreet.com