oplock and shutting down services

Ephi Dror edror at panasas.com
Wed Jul 25 22:43:30 GMT 2001

Hi All,

I am working on providing fail over functionality for SAMBA and have the
following questions:

1. Oplocks related:

Looking at the oplocks handling code in SAMBA  I found out that if we kill
the service (calling exit_server()), SAMBA code does not send a oplock break
to the client and therefore  files on the server might not be the current up
to date. SAMBA just flush the files and close them which I believe might not
be enough for oplock files.

Is it true, and if yes, why does SAMBA code not try to get the up to date
file from the client before shutting down the service?

2. Server shutdown:

Is there an MSRPC command or other mechanism in which a server can tell its
client to close  the connections to the server. If there is, I thought it
can be use as part of gracefully shutdown of a server in which the server
tells its clients to shutdown.

Thanks so much for your help.

Ephi.