Samba Password Encryption vs. C209

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Jan 26 01:12:49 GMT 2001

At 04:36 PM 1/25/01 -0800, Andrew Edem wrote:
>When I put an 8 byte value and a 7 byte key through the samba function, I
>get very different results than if I put them through a normal
>(IE: SSH) function. I'm wondering why this is. (Is there some other step
>I'm missing?)

Are you sure that this SSH you refer to is actually DES, and not, say,
tripple DES?

Also, since SSH can handle greater than 128-bit keys, it might be extending
the key with zeros for you and thus changing the result.  Of course,
without looking at the code, I am simply speaking off the top of my head.

Perhaps you can post the code or point to it.

>-Andrew

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com