Samba Password Encryption vs. C209

Andrew Edem aedem at kaxis.cx
Thu Jan 25 21:45:02 GMT 2001

C208 (CAE Specification) Protocols for X/Open PC Interworking: SMB,
Version 2 says that lan manager passwords should be encrypted against a
string of eight question marks, then encrypted against the challenge key
presented by the server, yet samba encrypts the password against
"\x4B\x47\x53\x21\x40\x23\x24\x25".

Secondly, the DES routines in Samba seem to vary from the other
algorithms I've seen. (I'm assuming these are either related, or the
X/Open standard is VERY off.)

I guess I'm wondering why Samba differs from the standard.

Thanks,
-Andrew