[Fwd: Samba 2.0.7 and FHS conventions]

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Wed Jan 24 17:54:43 GMT 2001

FHS isn't Linux-specific, nor can you currently get complete FHS compliance
just by setting Samba's autoconf variables.

[ from the original message:

Even worse, it is not even possible to make it follow the FHS
convention by mere command line arguments. My best try was:

./configure --prefix=/usr \
            --sysconfdir=/etc \
            --libdir=/etc \
            --localstatedir=/var \
            --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
            --with-lockdir=/var/samba \
            --with-swatdir=/usr/lib/swat

[ assorted Makefile.in and source code changes required for FHS-compliance
omitted ]

]

To be honest, Samba's weird conventions have bothered me (and many other
sysadmins) for a long time.  Maybe 2.2 would be a good place to change them.