I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Fri Jan 12 20:19:53 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 11:20:26AM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> MS article Q106211 says:
> ---
>    Windows NT does not allow you to make multiple connections to a
>    shared network server from the same workstation if you attempt to
>    use more than one set of credentials. If you attempt to make two
>    or more connections to the same server using two or more sets of
>    credentials, you will receive the following error message:

The CIFS specification goes as far as to say:

2.5.1       Connection Management

Once a connection is established, the rules for reliable transport
connection dissolution are:

o If a server receives a transport establishment request from a client
  with which it is already conversing, the server may terminate all
  other transport connections to that client.  This is to recover from
  the situation where the client was suddenly rebooted and was unable
  to cleanly terminate its resource sharing activities with the server.

But NT and friends don't actually do this AFAIK. Not yet anyway. When
writing jcifs I took nothing for granted in that all sessions are
multiplexed over a single transport and all trees are multiplexed over
any suitable session and so on. The only problem is when the users are
in different Java VMs. I guess it depends on what their definition of
"a client with which it is already conversing" is. If it's the calling
netbios name then it's not a problem because you can dynamically generate
a name. Richard's libsmbclient does this and jcifs generates names like
JCIFS34_151_A3. If thier definition is based on host or ip then there
would be a problem but I seriously doubt MS could truly realize such a
goal because like us, they too have dependancies.

Mike

--
signature pending