I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jan 11 10:33:48 GMT 2001

Hi Martin,

At 02:22 AM 1/11/01 -0800, Martin Kuhne wrote:
>Sorry, you are wrong.
>cf. CIFS spec section "2.8  Security Model"

Hmmm, pretty blunt ... :-)

OK, I found a version that had Security Model in 2.7. Here it is:

]2.7 Security Model
]
]Each server makes a set of resources available to clients on the
]network.  A resource being shared may be a directory tree,  printer,
]etc.  So far as clients are concerned, the server has no storage or
]
]service dependencies on any other servers; a client considers the server
]to be the sole provider of the file (or other resource) being accessed.
]
]The CIFS protocol requires server authentication of users before file
]accesses are allowed, and each server authenticates its own users.  A
]client system must send authentication information to the server before
]the server will allow access to its resources.
]
]
]A server requires the client to provide a user name and some proof of
]identity (often something cryptographically derived from a password) to
]gain access. The granularity of authorization is up to the server. For
]example, it may use the account name to check access control lists on
]individual files, or may have one access control list that applies to
]all files in the directory tree.
]
]When a server validates the account name and password presented by the
]client, an identifier representing that authenticated instance of the
]user is returned to the client in the Uid field of the response SMB.
]This Uid must be included in all further requests made on behalf of the
]user from that client.

Hmmm, I assume that you are suggesting that one could send separate
SesssionSetup&X requests to the server, and one would get back separate
UIDs, which could be sent in separate requests to the server, thus allowing
it to multiplex different security contexts on one TCP session?

Do any servers allow this?

You have me intrigued now, and I have the tools to try this out.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba