Forms, print queues and tdb

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Thu Jan 11 00:16:17 GMT 2001

Damian Ivereigh writes:

> I am noticing that there are several times where Samba is doing a
> serial search through all the keys in a tdb file. The main reason
> seems to be that because tdb uses hashes, you can only go to a certain
> key, you can't do a subkey match.

Are you sure it's tdb that is the bottleneck?  I've found you run
into limitations of the printing system before tdb.

Can you give some more information on your setup?  Which printing
backend, how many printers, how many jobs etc.

> The only solution I can see is to either have a seperate tdb file for
> each print queue (and a seperate one for the forms), or to use some
> method of indexing that gives a sorted order and therefore allows
> partial matches - e.g. one of the b-tree algorithms. So how attached
> is everyone to tdb? Can anyone think of a better solution? Is my brain
> deranged?

I think you'd have a hard time convincing people to drop tdb.
(-:  Storing per queue tdbs may be a good solution though.

Tim.