I think MS just did us (and themselves) a disservice.

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Jan 10 20:30:22 GMT 2001

At 04:13 PM 1/10/01 -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> You're right, It also likes the IP in addition to the netbios name,
>> I should have included that. But it won't let you redefine the name in
>> LMHOSTS,
>> but that's because it threats the IP as it's allowed netbios name as well.
>>
>> defining a name agains an IP which is _not_ the hostname will not work.
>
>It allows the IP because, by choosing the IP, you force it to connect to
>the *SMBSERVER generic name rather than the specific name.  Note that the
>IP address is equivalent to using a DNS name.

More precisely, the client observes that the server name is different than
any it already has connected, so it places a new TCP connection.

>I think that Richard hit the key in all of this.  It should be possible
>for libsmbclient to establish a new connection and set up new credentials,
>thus freeing libsmbclient from this restriction.  Is that correct,
>Richard?

Yes, actually. I hadn't thought of that before, but we keep a list of
connections and we search through them looking for one where:

   The server name is the same
   The share is the same
   The user is the same
   The workgroup is the same ...

This is suboptimal, though, because if server, and user and workgroup are
the same, we should be able to put the new share request down the same TCP
connection, but if user is different, then we will automatically create a
new connection.

>Chris -)-----
>
>--
>Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
>crh at nts.umn.edu              Networking and Telecommunications Services
>
>    Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them
>    with your hands...you choose them as your guides, and following
>    them you will reach your destiny.  --Carl Schultz

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba