Serving data from a script

harakan at btinternet.com harakan at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 9 12:43:49 GMT 2001

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has done any investigations
into how to serve data to Samba via a script/application,
rather than directly from the file system? Or a way to
map a script into the file system?

Basically, I have an Intranet site (hosted on RH6.2) that
builds a virtual directory structure from a database, so
you can access
http://servername/file/virtual/path/to/file.ext, and the
access rights, file version, etc. are derived from the
database. I want users to be able to have read-only
access to the same files from NT boxes via Samba, but
still using the database for access control/versioning.

I've looked at extending the source code to support this
as another type (as with printers), but I can't distinguish
between local filesystem access for Samba versus local
filesystem access for client file requests. Of course, I'd
prefer to be able to support this using a virtual-FS so I
don't have to change Samba, but I've been unable to
find any tools that will do it...

Any hints or suggestions much appreciated,

Chris.