FW: IP-resolve issues.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jan 4 20:43:54 GMT 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> If smbmount needs to be kept small and simple, I can help put together
> simple code that does the lookup I'm talking about.  Only one problem:

smbmount can be as big as it has to be ...

smbmount is source/client/smbmount.c
smbclient is source/client/client.c (right?)

Compare them, they share a lot of things (some are copied, in some places
client.c seems more updated). How they setup a connection is similar and
if smbmount needs ipnumber and servername then smbclient should need the
same.

Adding support to smbclient to handle "smbclient //1.2.3.4/share" could
also be added to smbmount. They are practially the same program (just a
slight exaggeration).

If smbclient can connect and smbmount can't, then there is something that
hasn't been changed in both files.
(Alexander, if you test with smbclient does it have the same problems as
 smbmount? If not, there should be an easy cut 'n paste fix)

smbfs itself just doesn't care, it gets a socket that smbmount opened and
uses that.

/Urban