FW: IP-resolve issues.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jan 4 15:28:26 GMT 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Alexander Stohr wrote:

> It returns the expected name in my test setup.
> But its not exactly what i wanted. The problem
> still persists. smbmount will not be able to
> resolve the server, neither by name nor by IP.
> the IP is never accepted and the server will
> not get resolved any later point in time.

Giving both a name and an ip should work where the name can't be looked
up
% mount -t smbfs -o username=bla,ip=1.2.3.4 //server/share_name
(where server is the netbios name, not the dns name, of 1.2.3.4)

This should be the same for smbclient.

It would be nice if this worked too, but I don't know if it does:
% mount -t smbfs -o username=bla,ip=elviriabridge.mercuryin.es //server/share_name

And it would of course be nice if the ip number could be used as server
name alone and smbmount (and smbclient?) would try to find the netbios
name (which it apparently could for you using nmblookup).

And if the server name given wasn't a netbios name it could be looked up
in the DNS and then looked up again for the netbios name (and now we
connect this query to the thread on what exactly the rules are for a
netbios name ... :)

/Urban