ERROR: Out of policy handles

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Thu Jan 4 14:12:27 GMT 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Greg Dickie wrote:
> >
> > I can reproduce this error quite easily with ClearCase and
> > it hgas caused some amount of pain. Is it possible that
> > NT actually times out a handle since I would expect the
> > same problem on NT server if the application was actually
> > busted.
>
> No.  I could be that for ClearCase, we just don't have
> a high enough default and that NT has a higher threshhold.
> Can you try to recreate this after setting MAX_OPEN_POLS to
> 256?

I don't think ClearCase is the culprit. ClearCase is just a good example
to show some bad behaviour in both NT and Samba.

Let me explain, ClearCase doesn't call the LSA directly. The out of policy
handle is due to samba not correctly replying to NT's requests and NT not
closing the LSA handle as it should.

Also I think Samba's MAX_OPEN_POLS is way lower than NT. On NT
MAX_OPEN_POLS is unlimited or around 2^32. Nice OOM condition on NT btw !

Anyway the solution is to fix samba.

	J.F.