Auditing for Samba Redux

ThwartedEfforts tef at wonky.org
Thu Jan 4 07:38:01 GMT 2001

Hello Ian and the rest of the Samba community!

I am not, unfortunately, actively maintaining my auditing patch, since I no
longer have the need for it (I needed it when I was a system administrator, two
jobs ago!).  I am not all that familar with the 2.0.6 and 2.0.7 samba code, but
I suspect that the 2.0.5 patch should apply to 2.0.6 with minimal difficulty.
In fact, I'm so far out of the loop, and from what I remember of the development
going on at the time, the VFS stuff may have ended up being a better place to
put auditing code.  If someone else wants to take this over, that would be
fantastic (seeing as how there is apparently (an admittedly small) demand for
this functionality).

If I have the time over the next few weeks, I will see about applying the diffs
to 2.0.6 and 2.0.7, or whatever is current, and generating new diffs.  How this
will be effected by the TNG code split and samba 2.2, I have no idea.  If you
need something sooner than that, I suggest you give it a go yourself.  Ian,
assuming you can get the patch applied and it works, editing the smb.conf file
as outlined in the docs is what you want to do to get it working.

The code/diffs can be downloaded from
http://thwartedefforts.org/software/samba/.  Any other link that you may have
for this, is as of January 4th 2001, are not the "official" location that I'm
maintaining (if you can call it "maintaining") -- please update your bookmarks
accordingly. :)

Andy Bakun
thwartedefforts at wonky.org