FW: IP-resolve issues.

Alexander Stohr AlexS at sonicblue.com
Thu Jan 4 04:47:53 GMT 2001

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > sorry your web page (DE-mirror) still mentioned the
> samba-bugs mail address,
> > but now i am forced to sent it to the tech "department"
> > dierectly. I must add, i am not subscirbed to that list.
> >
> > I am using latest SuSE Linux (7.x)
>
> The message should probably go to samba at samba.org.
> Also, you did not send along and error message output.

i didnt because i thougt the error of beeing unable to
resolve will be obvious in this context.

> In any case... If you are trying to connect to the server
> using only an
> IP address, then the client will not know the server's
> NetBIOS name.  In
> that case, it will try connecting to the "*SMBSERVER" name,
> but W/9x does
> not support this special name (95 doesn't, not sure about 98).

So its a flaw in the server.
The solution can only be a smarter client.

> As a result, you will get a "Called Name Not Present" error,
> or similar.

> Instead, do this:
>
> nmblookup -U <ip address> -S \* | fgrep "<20>" | awk '{ print $1 }'
>
> That will return the name you want.
>
> Chris -)-----

It returns the expected name in my test setup.
But its not exactly what i wanted. The problem
still persists. smbmount will not be able to
resolve the server, neither by name nor by IP.
the IP is never accepted and the server will
not get resolved any later point in time.

still the *only* way for me is to enter that ip
and name pair into /etc/hosts in order to give a hint.

i expected mount/mount.smbfs to perform a similar
lookup itself when it detects described scenario.
since the serving machine can be uniquely identified,
the requested action should be doable as far as i can see.

(If i use Win2k i can do it exactly this way,
i.e. with explorer address line:
  enter \\ip\share_name ->
  instant access to specified resource
I do not need an extra lookup for NMB name
and no local patch for the DNS resolve system.)

Regards AlexS.