libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jan 3 23:29:38 GMT 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

> Yes but what if your domain is different from your workgroup as is the case
> for me.

Well, the 'workgroup' string from smb.conf is used for both the workgroup and
the domain.  AFAIK, under NT you can't be a member of a different workgroup
than the one associated with your NT domain, and Samba doesn't allow this
either.  Win9x doesn't count, because it's not a member of a domain, EVER, it
can only pass authentication requests on to a password server (equivalent to
Samba's 'security = server').

So for Samba's purposes, there hasn't been a need for a separate smb.conf
configuration parameter.  I'm not sure I see the need for it with
libsmbclient.so, either.  Default workgroup would be helpful for default
browsing behavior; how is a setting for the default domain useful, other than
to specify the credentials of the default username?  And if it's only for
configuring the default user, isn't this logically part of the username
option in the config?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer