libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 2 18:40:22 GMT 2001

Matthew,

Nice to meet you.  Thanks for your comments.

One note:

> I do not think that libsmbclient should mimic windows behavior of making
> default workgroup a system parameter -- especially since it is expected
> that libsmbclient will be used on multi-user (Unix-like) platforms.  At
> the least, it should be a user configurable parameter...  The question I
> contemplate is whether default workgroup needs to be exposed via a
> standard text file at all.  Should it rather be a parameter (provided by
> the developer) to the library initialization API?

I strongly agree that, particularly for the client library, the default
workgroup should be viewed as a per-process parameter, though it may come
from a per-user (or, lacking that, a global) config file.

Regarding the mechanism for reading these values: I am not a fan of the
smb.conf syntax, and I think that smb.conf allows for many options that
libsmbclient will not need.  I do think, however, that there should be a
standard format readable by libsmbclient.

My own hope is that many application developers will use this library to
build client applications.  I assume that some will want to use the config
files designed for their own apps, but others may not.  If a user can set
up a .smbcrc file, or somesuch, then libsmbclient can read values which
the user considers 'global' to their needs.  An application's config file
could then override those values.