libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:57:02 GMT 2001

Yes, you're right.  When I typed "workgroup listing" I should have typed
"listing of the default workgroup".  My goob.

> 99% of the time users don't give a hoot about what workgroup there in.
> Again this is a behavioural feature of the application itself and
> therefore has no bearing on the smb URI standard right? Otherwise I think
> these sorts of application level things have a tendency to sort themselves
> out.

The only bearing it could have on the URI spec. is this:  Steve suggested
that smb:/// (three slashes) might be translated to mean 'browse the
servers in the default workgroup'.  This seems logical, since we can
interpret smb:/// as being smb://server/ where the server name string is
the empty string.  It seems reasonable to replace the empty name with the
default name.

Richard points out, however, that the syntax smb:/// might take on other
meaning in the future so it might be best not to use it now.  I would
also mention that I do not know if an empty name (represented as 15 space
characters followed by a type byte) is legal or not under NetBIOS.

Chris -)-----