Synchronized browsing

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:34:04 GMT 2001

> Yes, that describes the problem although I have more experience with the case
> where there are 3 different and unique workgroups involved (assuming the same
> example as you describe).  The workgroups could be FOO,  BAR  and URQ as long as
> there was a samba server configured to be a DMB on both LANs (one for FOO and
> one for BAR) - the same behaviour as you describe would still occur when
> those browse lists are synchronized.

It seems, in any case, that there must be an LMB for a workgroup/ntdomain
on the local LAN or you will see the workgroup/ntdomain but never be able
to access the servers.

  Lan1
 |----------+---------------+--|       [DMB:FOO]  [DMB:URQ]
            |               |              |          |
        [LMB:FOO]        [Router]---+------+----------+----|
  Lan2                      |       |
 |------+-----------+-------+--|  [WINS]
        |           |
    [LMB:FOO]   [LMB:URQ]

I've added a DMB for ntdomain URQ on the third subnet.

However, since there is no member of workgroup/ntdomain URQ on Lan1, there
is no host willing to become an LMB for URQ on Lan1.  The means we have
the same problem.  There is no way to request a list of browsers from the
Master, so there is no way to send the ennumeration request.

In this particular case, a client on Lan1 could, in theory, send a request
to DMB:URQ.  I don't think that this actually happens, though.

Geez I need a test lab.

Chris -)-----