libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Jan 1 20:45:50 GMT 2001

Steve Langasek wrote:
:
> Will there also be a means of listing the servers in the 'current' (as
> configured on the client), such as 'smb:///'?

The existance of a default workgroup is a problem.  In some environments,
eg. web browsers or file managers, you might not have a default while in
others you would.

Richard's library will look for a .smb.conf file in the user's home
directory thus allowing for a default to be specified.  I imagine, though
that applications developers may have their own ideas.  Eg., were Mozilla
to adopt libsmbclient, they might want to keep their own config
information.

So...

I think the smb:/// syntax would make sense for browsing the default
workgroup.  Entering smb:// (two slashes) will be more 'natural' to
people but it will not be a problem, since they will be able to select
their own workgroup from the list in any case.  Another way to handle
this is that the application could easily start within the default
workgroup and offere a means for going up or down from there.

Chris -)-----