"procedure number out of range"

Peter Woit woit at math.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 28 22:33:50 GMT 2001

Two problems came up when I tried to run today's CVS 2.2 samba and
set it up as a domain controller.

1. fcntl locking doesn't work on an nfs-mounted filesystem, so smbd
and nmbd die immediately because of problems with lock files in
/usr/local/samba/var
This is easy enough to work around, just by making sure the relevant
files are on a local partition.

More seriously,
2. All attempts to get a machine to join a domain controlled by
samba 2.2 give me an error message "procedure number out of range"

If I can provide any further debugging info (e.g. all the stuff smbd
spews out during the attempted creation of the machine account), let
me know.

Peter