FW: Speed comp. TNG & 2.2.alpha (fwd)

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Feb 27 14:04:06 GMT 2001

[Andrew Bartlett]
> RedHat has this 'feature' whereby all users are automatically made
> members of a private group - eg I (abartlet) have a primary group of
> 'abartlet', of which nobody else is a member.

Yes, useful feature; Debian does this by default as well.

However, I believe at the moment it is incompatible with Samba
including Samba-TNG.  In the NT world, users and groups (and aliases)
all share the same namespace, so you can't have name collisions.  Samba
does not yet deal with this situation gracefully -- although the issue
has come up before (usual suggestion: groups that collide with users
can be mangled with a fixed prefix or suffix that is assumed not to
occur in usernames).

Peter