General visibility in network neighborhood

Oliver Xymoron oxymoron at waste.org
Mon Feb 26 17:25:12 GMT 2001

My recent experimentation suggests that Windows does some of caching of
network neighborhood information, and seems to ignore things like netbios
name revocations when Samba shuts down, etc. Looking at packet dumps of
Windows and Samba netbios broadcasts suggests their advertising is
identical, and yet I occassionally don't see the Samba machine I'm playing
with listed.

So my question is, should it always be possible for an SMB server to get
itself to show up in a LAN's network neighborhood or should the
occassional non-appearance of a machine be written off as a caching/timing
problem? Is it possible to have done everything right and sometimes not
have your machine show up? Assume no WINS, all clients TCP, no rebooting
clients.