HOWTO add static entries to WINS?

werner maes werner.maes at cc.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Feb 23 15:23:49 GMT 2001

Dear all,

An update:
It is possible to add static WINS entries BUT they do not remain there.
They do EXPIRE.
I don't know how long they stay in the wins.dat file. I will do some more
tests.
Does it depend on the "max wins ttl" - "min wins ttl" parameter which is
set to six days -six hours??

About "max wins ttl":
This option tells nmbd when acting as a WINS server (wins support =true)
what the maximum 'time to live' of NetBIOS names that nmbd will grant will
be (in seconds). You should never need to change this parameter

Example of a manually added record:
"TESTSERVER#20" 983456716 134.58.188.180 44R

The number 983456716  = time that the record was created, in Unix epoch.

What's the meaning of the 44R value?

Would you please include me in cc: if you reply to this message since I'm
not a
member of the samba-technical mailing-list.

Thanks,

Werner Maes
KULeuven