Latest libsmbclient.so changes committed etc

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Feb 20 01:46:09 GMT 2001

At 12:01 PM 2/20/01 +1100, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
>> If we find we overload the browse master too much, we may have to look at
>> this issue again
>
>overloading the browse master isn't a problem, unless someone is still
>running a 286 as their browse master.
>
>The real problem is turning the browse masters IP address into a
>netbios name. Not all servers accept *SMBSERVER as a valid netbios
>name in a session request, so you need to do a udp/137 node status
>request and intuit the netbios name from that.

Yup, done that ... The code is all there in nmblib.c ...

>                                                You will find that many
>MS servers send the reply to the node status request to port 137 no
>matter what port the request was sent from (sound familiar?).

Well, I have checked against Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 2000
Professional, and Samba, and they all seem to handle the Node Status
request against * correctly so far. That is, they return the response to
the source port in the request, not port 137. I was amazed ...

>Cheers, Tridge

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com