Latest libsmbclient.so changes committed etc

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue Feb 20 01:01:45 GMT 2001

> If we find we overload the browse master too much, we may have to look at
> this issue again

overloading the browse master isn't a problem, unless someone is still
running a 286 as their browse master.

The real problem is turning the browse masters IP address into a
netbios name. Not all servers accept *SMBSERVER as a valid netbios
name in a session request, so you need to do a udp/137 node status
request and intuit the netbios name from that. You will find that many
MS servers send the reply to the node status request to port 137 no
matter what port the request was sent from (sound familiar?).

Cheers, Tridge