[Acl-Devel] Re: XFS acl support for SAMBA_2_2

Nathan Scott nathans at wobbly.melbourne.sgi.com
Tue Feb 20 14:26:19 GMT 2001

hi Jeremy,

(long time no see :-) - hope you're well)

On Feb 19,  2:51pm, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Subject: [Acl-Devel] Re: XFS acl support for SAMBA_2_2
> Yes, but the big problem is we now have *two* implementations
> of *almost* the same API in userspace, and two different
> implementations in the kernel, depending on which filesystem
> you're using.
>
> This is *BAD* - and only one will get added to the mainline
> kernel, I'm sure of that (or I don't know Linus & Ted very
> well :-) :-). In addition, which userspace API gets added
> to glibc ? This is a receipe for disaster.

The XFS version of these man pages, eg. acl_set(2), say...

CAVEAT
       This  ACL system call can be considered a temporary proto-
       type solution and may be altered for a  more  generic  ACL
       solution in the future.

There are people working on merging the APIs, of course -
as Christopher Lambert would say "there can be only one".
The initial version is pretty much a straight port of the
corresponding IRIX code, to get something up and running.

> SGI/XFS and Andraes need to work together to ensure that the
> POSIX API (which Andraes's work is exactly created from) is
> the one that XFS uses to get/set ACLs.

Indeed, and that has been happening for awhile now.

cheers.

--
Nathan