libsmbclient and browsing NT and Win9X workgroups: Evidence o f bad things

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Feb 16 15:01:56 GMT 2001

Richard,
I agree; launching nmbd in the background has a lot of downsides.  I liked
the idea of being able to put your own listener on that port if nmbd wasn't
running, but again the objections brought up for this are unfortunately
valid (imho).
While it's VERY painful to have to tie a library to a specific version of a
daemon, it sounds like this is the least dangerous option.  Key would be to
make it VERY debuggable (meaning supportable).  Document the hell out of the
dependency whereever you can, and if you fail the dependency test at
runtime, make sure you syslog it.
I am pretty strictly on the support and cpe side of NOS products for HP, so
don't deal with appliances, etc generally.  But seems to me that by
introducing this dependence, we are going to be putting people in the
position of having to update Samba to a new version in order to use this,
and that is always painful. Not from a standpoint of the actual update
itself, but the inevitable testing and unexpected behavior changes that
always come with new versions of software.  It's a shame that nmbd and smbd
are so tied together; Ideal world would allow for an update to the nmbd
daemon, while leaving the workhorse smbd unupdated, and thus most visible
user behavior unchanged.
Don