Having Trouble With Gnome With A Samba Mounted home Directory

David Minard david at cit.uws.edu.au
Thu Feb 15 01:27:32 GMT 2001

To Whomever Can Help,

Back Ground:

	We're trying to set up labs of Red Hat Linux boxes for our
students.  We're a bit concerned that if we use NFS to mount home
directories, and they manage to get a root shell, they will be able
to become anyother user, and wipe out that user's home directory and
not be challenged by further password requests to get into those
directories.  (It's easy to stop root from ferriting around in
directories with NFS).  So, we decided to try to use SAMBA to mount
the home directory of the user who logs into the Red Hat box.  SAMBA
asks for a password, which is what we want.  That way if they get a
root shell, to mount someone elses home directory, they have got to
enter the password for that user...  It won't stop them, but it will
slow them down.

	We tried automount but it did some rather strange things when
it was asking for the user's password - we had to abandon that - for
now.

The Problem:

	When a user logs in, and gets into their home directory via
SAMBA, and then runs "startx", it crashes with the following errors:

"Xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/.Xauthority"

and then

"** WARNING **: Unable to lock ICE authority file: /home/.ICEauthority"

At this point X bails.

	Why I think it's a SAMBA problem, is because if I set up the
box to use NFS to mount the home directory, when you use startx, it
works perfectly.

	The Linux box is running 7.0 with security patches installed.
	The Samba server is running on a True64 box (OSF V4.01229),
and the Samba server is: 2.07.

	If anyone can shed some light on this, could they reply to me
directly (david at cit.uws.edu.au), as I don't want to be on the list?
I've scoured the lists for anything that might relate, but haven't
come across anything...

In anticipation,

--

David Minard,
Senior Systems Programmer,

Phone      : 61 02 47 360155
Fax        : 61 02 47 360662
            : 61 02 47 360770
e-mail     : d.minard at cit.uws.edu.au

In your journey through life you will pass many pathways.  Choose them wisely.