libsmbclient and Windows 9X and Windows NT: Some problems.

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Feb 14 06:56:42 GMT 2001

Hi,

After doing some investigations today on libsmbclient using GetBackupList
requests to find the local master browser, I have found the following:

1. Samba and Windows 2000 are pretty infussed by what they receive, and are
happy to resond to such requests by looking at the source IP address and
port number in the datagram sent.

2. Windows NT at some service pack, and perhaps all service packs, and
Windows 9X require that:

   - The request come from port 138
   - The sender have a registered NetBIOS name.

Now, it is pretty hard to satisfy these requirements in libsmbclient, as it
is a library that will be called by non-root processes.

That being the case, I am of the opinion that the only solution is:

1. Modify nmbd to accept a tdb message SEND_GETBACKUPLIST. I will also have
to modify libsmbclient to use tdb to send the request to nmbd and retrieve
the response from the unexpected datagams queue ... or timeout trying.

This means that it will have the correct from port and there will be a
registered NetBIOS name.

2. Require that the right version of Samba be installed on the client, and
that nmbd be running.

I would try to get these changes into Samba 2.2.0 as the changes are
relatively small. One extra function for nmbd and a small change to main
for nmbd ...

Any comments?

Regards
-------