The latest CVS Samba

Kim Tingkær KimT at aloc.dk
Wed Feb 14 02:14:28 GMT 2001

Hi everyone,

i have just used the small win32 version of the CVS util (for the first
time) to download the most recent additions to the samba source.

The reason i had to is the error i kept getting that (when logging the win2k
client on the samba 2.2-alpha2 pdc) the "The account used is a computer
acount. Use your global user account or local ...". Now i read about a
solution to this problem on:

    http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-ntdom/2001-February/thread.html
<http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-ntdom/2001-February/thread.html>

Now the guy originally posting the problem there didnt get it to work either
and so i'm here with yet another problem, that actually seems rather
strange, i think :)

When i first did the ./configure (from within the source did) bash didnt
seem to find the command, and i looked closer at the configure file it
self... it had, in the first line of the script, the entry "#! /bin/sh".
Okay, so i comparing that to some other script that worked i saw that the a
space had to go. After correcting this (to "#!/bin/sh") in all scripts in
the source did i seemed to configure perfectly... yet when i then "make'd"
it i got nothing but parse errors -and alot of them. So in so many words...
I'm fu..ed.

Am i the only one with this problem?

Additionally i can say i did this:

1. (From my win2k box) Ran CVS to get the lates complete source of samba.
2. Transfered that to a cdrom and from there to my RH6.2 linux box supposed
to become the samba.
3. Danced with configure and make... (The first source straight from
ftp://sunsite.auc.dk <ftp://sunsite.auc.dk>  worked a-ok)

My config (in relation to the logon error)
workgroup = vesterbro
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
status=yes
security=user
encrypt password = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -noconfig -group users -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false %u
os level = 65
domain logons = yes
logon script = %U.bat
guest account = ftp
domain admin group @adm
unix password sync = no
lock dir = /tmp

So i pretty much followed the samba-pdc-howto. I also added an entry in
smbpasswd for root so the adding of Machine Accounts can proceede
automatically. And this is where i'm a bit in doubt with regards to the
howto doc in that the author states (under the section "Machine Accounts")
that:

"There must be an entry in smbpasswd for root and root must be mentioned in
domain admins..."

I havent figured out what "domain admins" describes.

My question basically is - how do i make the CVS version work?

Thanks in advance
Kim