CR-LF Translation Proposal

flyer net-flyer at libero.it
Tue Feb 13 23:32:07 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm in the need to transfer text files from a Linux box to a Win workstation and consider the Samba inability to properly manage the CR-LF translation a severe problem, if not a bug.

I red the FAQ about CR-LF translation (missing) support and I don't agree with the theory of not letting Samba translate CR-LF sequences.

The default behaviour could be left unchanged but an useful support could be given by adding a config option to allow translation for some file extensions only.
The user itself could specify such extensions and in smb.conf could take place an option like the following:
CR-LFtranslation = .txt  .doc  ...............

Thanks for your attention and please excuse me if this is not the right place where submitting this message.

Best regards.
Andrea
Milano - Italy