Wildcard handling

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Feb 13 07:34:53 GMT 2001

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> >  The '?' code contains an ugly hack
> > using get_remote_arch() to determine what semantics to implement.
> > If anyone can think of a cleaner way to implement this, please
> > let me know.
>
> This is the bit I'm most concerned about. In the past
> whenever we have thought that NT makes decisions based on
> a guess of the remote client type we have eventually found
> that we were wrong, and we were missing some factor.

I agree.  After I spoke with Jeremy about this last night,
he pointed this out.  I think the semantics are correct
though.  That's what I was asking about more than anything.
It could be the negotiation of LanMan as opposed to NT1.
I'll look into this more.  The NT SMB support does not
affect DOS clients which again points to a LanMan dependency.
The wildcard matching semantics of Win98 do not change
with 'nt smb support = no'.  Only what the client sends.

> One way to determine this is to use smbfilter. That
> allows you to run between a win9X client and a NT server
> but with the traffic altered so that the nt server reports
> no nt smb support. I'll give that a go this afternoon.

ok.  I'm curious as to what you find out.  I'll check in
again this afternoon

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org