Printer-Properties 2.2-alpha

Jim Vopni jimv at metrics.com
Wed Feb 7 15:48:59 GMT 2001

This type of problem still exists in the latest 2.2 branch code.
I only run into this problem when using specific PCL5 drivers. Examples
of the ones that cause the problem are the Canon GP405 and ImageRunner 600
drivers.  Other models in these two Canon families have the problem.  There
has
been no problems with the PS drivers or other PCL drivers.

I have looked at the debug logs and I can't see any errors so it seems that
the problem may be due to the driver expecting some side-effect that is
not being performed on the server side of things.  After selecting the
driver
a window pops up with "Unable to change to the specified driver, original
settings
will be restored" (from an NT4 machine) or "Printers settings could not be
saved"
(from  W2K).

I also checked out the Appliance_Head branch and it has the same problem. I
don't
mind helping to try tracking this problem down but I am not sure what to
look for.
I have done some network monitoring to a NT4 server and tried comparing the
packets with those to the samba server but wasn't able to notice any major
difference.

...Jim
Jim Vopni			Software Metrics
jimv at metrics.com		450 Philips St
(519) 885-2458 x222	Waterloo Ont. N2L 5J2