number of smbd processes per client IP

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Feb 5 13:46:57 GMT 2001

Paul Argentoff wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> I have noticed (and AFAIK it's normal) that samba
> spawns one server process per client's IP address. Can
> I change this behavior? Can I somehow force samba
> to spawn several smbds per client IP?

Not currently.

> Currently, when I start several terminal sessions
> on NT machine with a copy of that accounting thing
> in each, it (accounting program) dies shortly.
> When I did an smbstatus' snapshot, I saw that samba
> spawned ONE smbd process to serve
> all client processes/requests coming from ONE IP
> address (that of a terminal server). Accounting
> program dies when samba opens about 4,500 files.

Yes. We know this is a problem and are considering ways
to rememdy the situation.

> Terminal server: NT4 terminal server
> edition, Cytrix MetaFrame, 2xPIII 800 MHz, 1G RAM, 10G
> SCSI HDD (system)
> Thanks for your attention,

Oh.  I thought you were talking about win2k TSE.  For NT4 TSE,
try the following registry setting on the Terminal Server.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"MultipleUsersOnConnection"=dword:00000000

You will need to reboot after merging the setting of course.
(or maybe just restarting the Workstation service)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org