Read-Only Attribute Mapping

Tristan Ball tristanb at vsl.com.au
Mon Feb 5 06:40:02 GMT 2001

Sorry if this should be posted to the normal samba list, but I'm after a
little of the "insider knowledge" only available from the people who
write the code...
Questions first, detail below, for the curious:

Why has "Alternate Permissons" been removed?
Why is the dos readonly attribute not mapped based on whether the logged
in user actually has write permissions, rather it being based solely on
the user "W" bit?

The reasons:
I have a requirement to have a directory where any user can add files,
and view existing, but not delete or edit. There is then another small
group of users who have full writes on the files.
It's easy enough for me to use force create mask and setgid directories
to make sure only the specified users have rights to edit files, however
the ability to delete files is still a problem. If a user can add files
to a directory, they can delete them!
If the read only bit was mapped based on my effective permissions to the
file, then I could use the delete readonly feature to stop users who
didn't have write access to a file from deleting it.

Thankyou.

(oh, great little piece of software btw! we'd be sunk without it!)

--
Tristan Ball