NETBIOS-less SMB

Jeffrey R. Hay jrhay at lanl.gov
Fri Feb 2 15:25:19 GMT 2001

True, but then again, I don't care particularly for virtual servers -- all
I care about is sharing a filespace...  why I care about NB-lessness is
that we have just set up a firewall to make a "clean" network - that is, a
network with no extrenuous broadcast-type messages (since we are doing
network traffic research, this is very important to us).  We have a Win2000
machine inside the firewall, and a Linux server which for a variety of
reasons must stay outside the firewall... I want to be able to "natively"
access the filespace on the Linux machine from the Win2000 machine - which
means Samba or something like MS's Unix Services (to get NFS).  Since
NetBIOS violates our clean network principles, it is not an option - but
I'd still like to use Samba, hence my question.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey R. Hay
Los Alamos National Laboratory, RADIANT Team
www: http://www.lanl.gov/radiant, email: jrhay at lanl.gov
phone: (505)665-4953, fax: (505)665-4934