Secure LAN Bridging

Mark Weber mark.weber2 at home.com
Fri Feb 2 05:30:04 GMT 2001

I was wondering if anyone might help me out with a little idea I had.  I have a cable modem and my cable service filters all windows traffic.  (thank god)  But, what I want to do is to essentially redirect all windows network traffic through an ssh connection to another specified LAN.  (Secure LAN Bridging) I realize this may not be the scope of this list.  The reason I am writing this list is because since I am going to be redirecting all my traffic across a slower WAN connection and  I think it best to use a WINS server to do so.  I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about the approach I should take?

I should take a moment to explain the situation:  Several of my friends and I have cable modems.  We all use Linux boxes as our firewalls/gateways and have win NT 4 Domains or WIN98 workgroups on the local LAN.  What I want to do is build a daemon that sits on all our gateways to act as a broker for windows LAN traffic and redirect all of it through an SSH connection.  (no port caps)   Since I have quite a few friends I would like to use WINS.  I think it makes more sense than to blindly bridge all local traffic to those LAN's.   We will obiously have to work out the IP issues (so I guess that makes it Secure LAN routing... but whatever!)

Granted, I want to maintain a secure firewall while being able to specify a few remote (similarly configured) LAN's.  The Idea is that we (my friends and I) create either several different "workgroup" environments (e.g. win98) across the WAN or a win NT trusted domain structure.  Also the only dependency I want on the Linux box is to redirect all windows traffic (blindly) and hold open the SSH session to the remote computer.  (bi-directionally) with a little help and awareness of WINS.   So, I guess the only interaction I want samba to have is to act as a WINS server.

So,
A) is it possible to use samba as a WINS server across this type of connection?
B) is it feasible?

I have started some of the back end port redirection stuff and I think I am at a safe crossroads to ask this.  I am sorry if this is way off topic.

Thanks,
Mark