Behaviour of %G in "path = " statement in combination with "force user"

Robbert Kouprie robbert at radium.jvb.tudelft.nl
Mon Dec 31 08:28:15 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am using samba 2.2.2 and I have a share where I want to force user
"nobody", but keep the original domain group of the user logging in,
because this is used in my "path = " statement: "path = /mhome/%G"

Why is it so that when I substitute user using "force user = nobody",
that %G will be set the group to "nogroup" instead of the domain group
that the client originally wanted.

I read this in smb.conf(5):
       %U     session user name (the user name that the client wanted,
not necessarily the same as the one they got).
       %G     primary group name of %U.

Note that if I'd wanted to use the group of "nobody", "nogroup", I
would've used:
       %u     user name of the current service, if any.
       %g     primary group name of %u.

So I would assume (capital) %G in the "path = " statement would be
replaced with the original domain group. Can anyone shed a light on
this?

Regards,
- Robbert Kouprie