Process group ownership

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Dec 29 17:31:05 GMT 2001

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 01:37:54PM -0801, Jos Backus wrote:

> The above output clearly shows {n,s}mbd running in their own pgrps, which is
> what we want; when I down those services using ``svc -d /service/?mbd'' they
> go away, without killing the members of pgrp 46. Without the -F flag/patch all
> the members of pgrp 46 do get killed, which is obviously undesirable. So I am
> really hoping that the Samba people will adopt my patch :-)
> </quote>
>
> (The other solution to this would be to not use ``kill(0,SIGTERM)'' but kill
> the individual children smbd creates instead; I'm not sure how hard that would
> be to implement though.)
>
> So will you please reconsider adding my patch too?

I don't want to add a different option for what -i does. I've
changed the -i code to do set setpgid(0,0) if set. This should
have the same effect you wanted (smbd/nmbd/winbindd in their own
process group for signal management).

Please check out the SAMBA_2_2 code and see if this does what
you want.

Jeremy.