Problems on getting Samba on SuSE 7.0 to communicate with Win2k

Patrik Jansson patrik.jansson at mbnet.fi
Fri Dec 28 13:19:02 GMT 2001

I have a two computers, one with SuSE 7.0 and the other with Win2k, on a network. My goal is to get the Windows computer to act as a server sharing its ISDN
connection and printer through Samba. And files on both ways, too. The networked has worked earlier with Windows also in the other machine. I've set IP's and subnet
masks to the computers, I can ping from both of them, smb.conf should be fine and the name server is set in Suse to be Win2k.  I've also enabled Internet connection
sharing on Windows. But somehow this system doesn't work. In My Network Places Win2k shows only itself adn Suse can't find Win2k box. A thing that is confusing me is
that when IP in command 'smbclient -L [IP address]' is set to be Suses', it shows following:
"Domain={BERGKULLA} OS={Unix} Server=(Samba 2.0.7)

       Sharename    Type    Comment
       share              Disk
       homes            Disk       Home
       floppy             Disk
       IPC$               IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.7)
       root                Disk       Home

       Server            Comment
       PATE             Samba 2.0.7

       Workgoup          Master
       BERGKULLA      PATE  "

Everything else is correct, but on the Server it shows to be PATE, which isn't my Win2ks' name, that is pate-001. Only place where i can recall myself using PATE was
when setting the netbios name in Suse. I've tried a few times program called Samba Setup Tool in conifguring smb.conf. Though most of it I've configured by hand. Any
ideas on how could I get my network working?

Regards,
Patrik