Process group ownership

Jos Backus josb at cncdsl.com
Thu Dec 27 18:06:03 GMT 2001

source/smbd/server.c has:

/****************************************************************************
  Send a SIGTERM to our process group.
*****************************************************************************/
static void  killkids(void)
{
        if(am_parent) kill(0,SIGTERM);
}

I think this is a bad coding practice: we did not create the pgrp so we should
not be killing processes in it because other processes may be part of it. Iow
if we don't ``own'' the pgrp we should not be messing with it.

There are two ways to fix this:
- keep track of our children and kill them explicitly;
- create our own process group (using setpgrp()/setsid()).

Thoughts? Please Cc me because I am not on this list.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA