File mode badly shown in smbclient (want DAHR,---R,---- etc)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Dec 26 04:16:25 GMT 2001

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
> >I still claim that making the display string easily parsable is going to
> >be difficult.  It may *seem* easier, but I think that there will be
> >syntactic ambiguities.
> >
> Hmmm, can you elaborate?

Easier to see suggested solutions and then shoot them down...  ;)

The solutions I've seen do not propose a clear delimiter between the
filename and the atributes.

On the other hand, upon further reflection... one could work backward from
right to left, parsing out the known fields (if these are consistent).
That might make it quite easy, as long as the attribute field was
unambiguous (no spaces, etc.).  That's probably the best way to approach
it, if you *must* use smbclient instead of going directly to libsmbclient.

My preference for such tools would be to use a lower level, such as
libsmbclient or jCIFS.

Chris -)-----