Client for Samba networks

Osama Dengler osama at denglernet.de
Wed Dec 19 03:07:23 GMT 2001

Am 18 Dec 2001, um 15:56 Uhr schrieb Jeremy Allison zum Thema Re: Client for Samba networks:
Dazu meine Meinung:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:05:05AM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> > Steven French wrote:
> > >  Getting an open network provider DLL and/or GINA
> > > (logon module) for CIFS on Windows 2000/XP would
> > > be a big help but also tricky to write
> >
> > 	We've seen two partial sucesses with
> > 	GINA already, IBM's and the nsgina
> > 	for nis (yp), so it's at least possible...
> >
> > 	A GINA that does a minimal window,
> > 	collects data and ships it to an
> > 	authentication server in some
> > 	appropriate format, and then displays
> > 	a sucess indication or a server-
> > 	supplied error message would allow us to
> > 	build suitable back-ends, and might
> > 	be more maintainable than previous ones.
> >
> > 	I, for one, would love to see a GINA
> > 	I could update via the default login.bat (;-))
> > 	that would be independant of the
> > 	authentication mechanism.
>
> GINA's are useless as a generic Windows authentication
> method. They don't get service logons, batch logons or
> network logons.
>
> They're *not* a PAM replacement, even though they're
> claimed to be.
>
> The NT PAM is the LSAAuth level - which is intentionally
> undocumented.
this is not correct - have a look at the Platform SDK which provides
enough information to write your own Authentication / Security Package.
I'm working on a AUth.Package to authenticate against a LDAP directory
and - though it's still in the very beginning - the authentication itself works.

Greetings Osama

---
Osama Dengler
http://www.jazz-on-the-rocks.de/