Smbmount broken?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Dec 19 01:57:04 GMT 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Applied to HEAD and 2.2 CVS thanks. BTW: Are you sure the removal
> of the getenv ASCII code is correct ?

No no no no, I didn't ask you to apply this :)

The capabilities flags are all wrong for smbfs. There needs to be a "clear
everything" step before cli_session_setup.
	c->capabilities &= ~(CAP_UNICODE | CAP_LARGE_FILES | ... )
(and this is so backwards, smbmount knows nothing about smbfs
 capabilities, instead smbfs should call smbmount with the right flags)

The ASCII env flag only controls one of those, so it's not enough to be
correct. And there really is no point in letting people turn it on.

The patch is incorrect however. I removed it because I misread what it
did. I'll check what is in there now and send an update for 2_2 this
evening. The update will be marked "please apply this" :)

HEAD is causing more trouble, and I got stuck trying to get that to work
properly.

HEAD does some funky negotiation thing that fails for me vs win2k. One
part is that if you have dos errors it doesn't understand the error code
to continue with a second session setup (ERRDOS - ERRmoredata doesn't map
to NT_STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED), but mapping that to the excpected
error code still fails. Possibly because the ntlmssp(?) negotiation
switches unicode or something back on.

And HEAD as a smb server always seems to talk unicode (no matter what the
client says). I don't know if it is an intentional move to drop support
for older clients or if the plan is to add that back later on. Or if it is
just something with the new session setup code.

Making smbfs understand nt status codes shouldn't be that difficult, I'll
just do the mappings samba does. But I'd rather avoid the 14k translation
tables, or at least move them to some smbfs_old_server module. Does anyone
know what servers that only does dos errors? win9x? OS/2? NetApp's?

/Urban